Skip to main content

Farewell...


I have not, unfortunately, read widely in literature, let alone the classics. It is something I wish I did more. I read Goethe's Faust a year ago and thought that was very good, but my literary scope has been pretty much limited to the Harry Potter series over the past couple years, though I am only on Book 5. I did try to get through Love in the Time of Cholera, but I only got half way. I went on the word of a friend and picked up one of Hemingway's.

I don't know if Farewell to Arms is even considered a "classic." My American Literature class in college may have touched on him a bit, but most likely not. The book is probably too provocative for the school. If it did, I was probably not paying attention because my American Lit. professor was especially boring. Any way, I have never felt so involved in the world of fictional characters. I love Harry Potter and I feel like I get pretty involved, but I have yet to experience the powerful emotion I felt after reading the last sentence of Farewell to Arms, "After a while I went out and left the hospital and walked back to the hotel in the rain." My immediate thought after reading the words "THE END" was, "I hate you, Hemingway. I hate you." I immediately texted my friend who recommended the book and wrote, "I hate Hemingway. I hate him. To hades with his rotten soul."

How could you not hate a man who writes this depressingly blunt portrait of reality: "Poor little kid. I wished the hell I'd been choked like that. No I didn't. Still there would not be all this dying to go through. Now Catherine would die. That was what you did. You died. You did not know what it was about. You never had time to learn. They threw you in and told you the rules and the first time they caught you off base they killed you. Or they killed you gratuitously like Aymo. Or gave you the syphilis like Rinaldi. But they killed you in the end. You could count on that. Stay around and they would kill you." It kind of reminded me of Donnie Darco said, something like, "in the end everyone dies alone."

Hemingway died alone. He killed himself, I think. I don't want to die alone, but I am alone. If I died today, I would die alone.

*Artwork from HERE

Popular posts from this blog

You and Whose Army?

America elects a pro-choice candidate and suddenly my fellow Christian brothers and sisters head for the hills screaming the world has come to an end. Are not abortion rates much higher in several other countries? Why aren't we just as concerned about "life" in those countries? America elects an economically progressive candidate and people are screaming "socialism" preparing for a Rapture. (An mid-1800's invention of conservative Christian theology). Doesn't America know that Democracy is one of the youngest political philosophies to be employed? Why do we think the fate of the world depends on the success of our economical and political philosophies? America is struggling economically, and Jesus is now coming back to rescue his 2000 year old church from this difficult tribulation. Doesn't America remember that its only 232 years old? Why does God's blessing equate with monetary blessing? Why do American Christians constantly tie the end of the ...

Where I've Been

visited 30 states (60%) Create your own visited map of The United States or try another Douwe Osinga project visited 6 states (2.66%) Create your own visited map of The World or try another Douwe Osinga project
having a passion for life. when i was in college "passion" was one of those words that caused red flags to go up in my head. i guess its because as a teenager i went to an extremely conservative church and we were expected (if of course we were to be spiritual) to have moving experiences of the spirit, and then we would arise to the spiritual status of being "on fire" for the Lord. to this day im still not sure what it means to be "on fire" (dispensationalists, we are really allegoricists when it comes to your own talking!!). the best example of this is summer camp. we would go away to camp for a week or so. it was like clockwork, about the 3rd night or so the singing would last a bit longer and then the invitations would be longer, until the end of the week on the last night or the last two nights we would have "revival." kids would get saved (again), others would get all emotional and cry and get things "right" in their lives. we woul...