Skip to main content

free will and free will offering

God has a sense of humor. God has sent one into my life who is the prototype of a zealot, and everything that eerks me in fundamentalism. This one believes that God gives them "special insight" into the Bible (i.e. God showed me this truth). This one approached me to "ask" what I thought about Calvinism. (Apparently there is a rising group of heretic calvanists in our church. Really what is meant is that this one is finding out that there are calvanists amongst us and that displeases the person greatly. They are "heretics" because they do not believe what this one believes, and since God "shows" all things to this person there is no error!) I began to talk, because I was asked my opinion, but immediately I was interrupted. I could see that this one really came to talk rather than listen to my opinion. I was even informed by this one that part of the goal was to make sure I was not a heretic, and if I was they wanted to know so they could pray for me. Hilarious. Nonetheless, we came to "free will" and I asked if this person believed in free will. I received an affirmative reply. The reason: the free will offering in the bible. If they didn't have a free will then surely they could not offer a "free will" offering! How do begin to talk to a person who thinks like this? Apparently Moses was talking about the nature of our will and not the condition under which the offering was given. Aye-yi-yi. I cannot believe John Calvin did not think about that!! Those Presbyterians are so ignorant. I know, Presbyterians probably don't read the Bible!

[sigh...........}

Popular posts from this blog

You and Whose Army?

America elects a pro-choice candidate and suddenly my fellow Christian brothers and sisters head for the hills screaming the world has come to an end. Are not abortion rates much higher in several other countries? Why aren't we just as concerned about "life" in those countries? America elects an economically progressive candidate and people are screaming "socialism" preparing for a Rapture. (An mid-1800's invention of conservative Christian theology). Doesn't America know that Democracy is one of the youngest political philosophies to be employed? Why do we think the fate of the world depends on the success of our economical and political philosophies? America is struggling economically, and Jesus is now coming back to rescue his 2000 year old church from this difficult tribulation. Doesn't America remember that its only 232 years old? Why does God's blessing equate with monetary blessing? Why do American Christians constantly tie the end of the ...

Where I've Been

visited 30 states (60%) Create your own visited map of The United States or try another Douwe Osinga project visited 6 states (2.66%) Create your own visited map of The World or try another Douwe Osinga project
having a passion for life. when i was in college "passion" was one of those words that caused red flags to go up in my head. i guess its because as a teenager i went to an extremely conservative church and we were expected (if of course we were to be spiritual) to have moving experiences of the spirit, and then we would arise to the spiritual status of being "on fire" for the Lord. to this day im still not sure what it means to be "on fire" (dispensationalists, we are really allegoricists when it comes to your own talking!!). the best example of this is summer camp. we would go away to camp for a week or so. it was like clockwork, about the 3rd night or so the singing would last a bit longer and then the invitations would be longer, until the end of the week on the last night or the last two nights we would have "revival." kids would get saved (again), others would get all emotional and cry and get things "right" in their lives. we woul...