Skip to main content
One of the strongest catalyzers of the missions movement during the twentieth century has been the idea that in taking the gospel around the world we are actually shortening the time of Christ’s return. That is, we believe that we can somehow, in our schemes “hurry up” or “hasten” the coming kingdom of God. Is God on our timetable? Does God actually have some plan where once the gospel has reached this last place He will commence the apocalypse? If this were so why wouldn’t we just do a massive airdrop of literature with airplanes all over the world, that would seem to solve the problem, right? If all that God is interested in is making a necessary stop on the last island of Iwo Jima why don’t we just send a group over there, do a mass evangelistic campaign, and if nothing comes of it than nothing comes of it, but we have taken the gospel there, and that’s all that matters because we are that much closer to bliss. Now I have a difficulty with this mentality. There is no love in this scheme. There is nothing human about this thinking. Just like there is no love in the mass-marketing million dollar corporations who try to trick you into buying their product because they have some how convinced you that you deserve it or that this is your time. Why wait? Have it your way! Right away! Are we taking a product to people so that our benefit is the end of that scheme? If there is one thing about my culture that I despise, it is the marketing menace of corporate America. I can’t watch one play of the football game without some company shoving there name onto the screen somewhere. I can’t drive down the highway without seeing hundreds of billboards all clamoring for my attention. What is the purpose of the billboard? It’s to promote and plant seeds of a product into your brain until ultimately it leads to your ritual cultic expression as a consumer. You buy it. You buy it because you were told that you needed it, but did you really need it? You were told you needed it because the corporation wants you to give them your money so it will end up in the fat pockets of some bigwig CEO who needs to pay his off his multimillion dollar mansion. The marketing isn’t ultimately for your benefit, its for the benefit of the seller. To this conclusion I ask, What is our purpose in taking a gospel to a world? It would seem that our reasons are self-fulfilling, the same reason the rich CEO set up his sky-stealing billboard is the same reason we tell the world they need to buy what we are selling. God forbid that we should market the gospel to a desperate world so we can somehow take part in the pleasures of heavenly bliss. We proselytize in order that Christ may bring an end to this miserable world of sin and disgust. We market with one intention in mind (our happiness) all the while we offer a supposed selfless gospel of free salvation. What trickery, what sedition, what selfishness.

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th