Skip to main content


Research Topic Cont.:
My case is essentially this: Modern Evangelical method of interpretation as a result of adopting a scientific approach to scripture rejects (not outrightly, but the proof is in the pudding)the reading, and thus interpretation, of scripture with predisposed confessions to doctrinal statements in hand(such as creeds or confessions which were the result significant church councils).

In my case for maintaining a confessional/creedal interpretation of scripture the point will surely be made that the Reformers attempted to free us from the bondage of Tradition for after all, it is that Tradition which empowered the abuses and disasters of the Catholic church.

What about the reformation? Were the Reformers set on freeing the people of God from the "Church" and thus its tradition because they had found their method of interpretation to lead elsewhere, away from the "Church's" traditions? Or said differently, were the Reformers rejecting Tradition or traditions? It can be established that the Reformers purposes and intents were to free the people of God from man's traditions, those traditions that crept into the faith without consent of the body of faith, but they certainly were not abandoning the universally agreed upon confessions of faith found in the early church, namely the Apostle's Creed, Nicaea, Chalcedon, etc. The Reformers were not trying to separate the Tradition from the Church, they were simply affirming the commonly agreed upon points of faith that have existed since the early church and denying those that had not been agreed upon by the universal body of believers.

The case of Urbanus Rhegius, a 16th century reformer suggests that the Reformers were interested in maintaining the Tradition which was passed on, even in the Catholic Church. I quote from D.H. Williams, Retrieving the Tradition and Renewing Evangelicalism, 178.

The reformer Urbanus Rhegius, for example, was committed to the idea that Scripture should always be interpreted in accord with the received teaching of the universal church, and maintained that preachers should be ready to cite opinions of the Fathers in support of their points. Indeed, Rhegius argued that that no true understanding of Scripture could exist apart from the fundamental articles of the faith because these were forged during the earliest centuries of the church. Not just any opinion of a church father could be used, but only those which agreed with the consensus of the ancient faith as required by th principle of catholicity and Scripture... As the Reformation became increasingly associated with the recovery and reestablishment of the original Tradition in the church, using the same patristic sources of their opponents, the issue also became how one could discern which of the traditions truly reflected the ancient Tradition.


Here in we see that even the Reformers (at least one) maintained that the reading and interpretation of Scripture within the church must be led by the established Tradition of the faith.

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th