Skip to main content

Blue Parakeet: A Midway Reflection

Why is it that when a cooperation rethinks how they make their product people generally get excited. I mean, case and point, the iPod. Its been rethought, redesigned, and repacked numerous times and those little devices get eaten up like candy. But, just because something gets rethought doesn't necessarily mean the rethinking is better rethinking. For Apple, it generally is... minus the iPod Mini. That's the risk you have to take when you rethink something. Nonetheless most people get excited when something gets rethought, especially when they participate in the rethinking itself.

However I have a premonition that there are people who don't like the title of Scot McKnight's newest publication: The Blue Parakeet - Rethinking How You Read the Bible. I often sense that people get nervous or defensive or downright feisty when they see "rethinking" and "Bible" in the same phrase. Why is that? I guess, from experience, it generally has something to do with our fear of being told something we haven't heard before or being told that what we originally thought was misguided or even wrong, and who wants to believe they've been wrong all these years? I mean, seriously, who is Scot McKnight to tell us that we've been reading the Bible wrongly and that we need to read it differently. After all, I learned to read when I was a small boy, how hard can it be?

Well, after having read midway at this point (p. 112) I have found Scot's book to be very informative and, yes, even formative. But why the title Blue Parakeet? It kind of reminds me of another way of saying "the elephant in the room" but not exactly. The blue parakeet is the bird that escaped someones domesticated cage that doesn't belong in Scot's backyard around the bird feeder. It's in the way and it's annoying because it's scaring off all the other indigenous birds that really belong in his backyard. They are like the passages in the Bible that we know are there, but they are annoying us and scaring off the nicely designed "systems" of interpretation.

He suggests there are three typical ways of reading the Bible.

First, typically of protestants, is the "Read and Retrieve" way. That is, take everything the Bible says and apply it to the 21st century world. He quickly shows how this is inadequate. We cannot take everything from the Bible and apply to our lives, literally. We don't stone homosexuals or adulterers. We don't tithe biblically, we don't tell women to shut up in church.

Second, is the "Reading through Tradition" way. This way is static. It does not let the Bible be what it is. It reads the Bible as if it were only a Catechism. Sure it has those intents in places, but not in all places. The Bible is one big Story. This way is unhelpful because it does not allow time to change nor people to change. It does not allow people to think about the Bible their way in their day.

Third, is the "Reading with Tradition" way. This way is dynamic. It lets the Bible be what it is, it lets the Blue Parakeets annoy us and puzzle us, but it lets us deal with the Bible in a dynamic and fluid way. It lets us deal with the Bible in our day in our way, but not forgetting the other ways in the other days.

Scot's McKnight's thesis' at this point is the Bible is a Story. It is a Story made up of several "wiki-stories", and needs to be read as such. God speaks in every generation in every generation's way. The Story is the overall plan of God as he works in the world as recorded in Scripture. The wiki-stories are the "anecdotal evidences" of God working his overall Story in the daily lives of individuals who were in relationship with Him. The little wiki-stories reflect the Story. The Bible was read in Moses' day in Moses' way, in David's day in David's way, in Isaiah's day in Isaiah's way, in Jesus' day in Jesus' way, in Paul's day in Paul's way. His point is not so much that we read the Bible however we want, but to say that reading the Bible happens in specific contexts and specific times. The Bible is dynamic, not static because God is dynamic and not static.

Instead of reading the Bible for what it is - a Story - most people are trained to read the Bible inadequately through shortcuts. This happens when people read the Bible as: 1)Morsels of Law 2) Morsels of Blessing and Promise 3) Mirrors and Inkblots (seeing what you want to see) 4) Puzzling together the pieces that map God's mind (finding the key to unlock the mystery it all) or 5) Maestros (thinking about the Bible in a specifically Pauline way or specifically Jesus way). The five ways are short-cuts to dealing with the Bible as a whole made of many contextualized events, wiki-stories. One of the greatest contributor to these shortcuts was the "versification" of the Bible. Adding chapters and verses was beneficial so the average guy could find portions of the Bible quickly, but it was unfortunate because people began to read the Bible in bits and pieces and not in wholes. The doctrine of the Rapture, at least to me, is an example of the unhelpful effect of "versifying" the Bible. Pull a verse here, add a verse there, interpret a verse this way, and vwa-lla, the Rapture! That's my thinking, as far as I know not McKnight's.

Where then do we begin with the Bible? We Listen. It is there were we come face to face with the God of creation revealing himself to us today. It there were we see God working in the past which is always a promise of how he will work in the future though he never works in the same ways. The Story must be heard if it is to change you. Our greatest need is to develop in relationship with our God and we do this best when we listen to what God is saying. Our approach then to the Bible is relational. It is simply a misstep to study the Bible to study the Bible. That is not a relationship. All stories are about relationships (either the presence of or the lack there of). When we read the Bible for what it is and throw ourselves into it we begin to throw ourselves into our greatest good - a growing and loving relationship with God - and with our brothers and sisters.

So we listen first to what the God of the Bible is saying through the words of the Bible, but we must also listen to what the people of God who have been in relationship with God in the past are saying about what God was saying in the Bible. The Story of God's word does not stop at 100 A.D. We must also read the Bible with Tradition. The story of God's word is being played out today in our day in our ways. If we are reading the Bible and being motivated to love God and our neighbor, ultimately we are reading it correctly.

That is a summary up through the halfway point of the book. My thoughts are limited to the fact that I really believe his emphasis on the Story/Narrative nature of the Bible is really helpful for believers today though the powers that be in the authoritarian-centered power-hungry institutions and churches will disapprove of this book in the name of "faithfulness to Scripture" and "conservative theology" on grounds that the book plays down the importance of the Bible itself. That's not true, the book just doesn't speak about the Bible in authoritarian / submission language. But after all, most of those are guys are guilty of serious Biblolatry.

One of McKnight's most helpful points is that we develop in relationship with God Himself, not God's words themselves. The Bible poses difficult questions and we need to develop a way of reading the Bible that learns love the God revealed in the words of the Bible. The point is not what we know about the Bible, the point is what we do with what we know about the Bible and when we learn to love the God of the Bible (which we will do when we see the whole picture) we will live out the Bible in our way in our day. Confusing, but, nonetheless true.

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th