Skip to main content

Parakeets, Raptures, and Ways of Reading the Bible

Yesterday my Amazon order arrived. Darla, the Accountant-person here at the office delivered it to me. Well, actually UPS did. I wonder how many hands actually touched it from warehouse to desk? Interesting.

Any way, I love packages. Especially packages I’m really anticipating. I think I like buying things online rather than at the store just to build the suspense, just to create an atmosphere of surprise. Everyone loves a surprise.

Within this package were two books recommended by Jesus Creed. The first: Left Behind or Left Befuddled by Gordon Isaac, a seminary professor at Gordon-Conwell Seminary. The second: Blue Parakeet by Scot McKnight (author at Jesus Creed), a seminary professor at Northpark Seminary.

I am excited about the first because it deals with a “hot” topic that I think, quite frankly, is untrue. The rapture. Isaac treats the “End Times” stuff. You know, the mysterious disappearance of thousands, if not millions… Interestingly enough, after attending Dallas Seminary, the guardian of Dispensationalism and Pre-Millennial, Pre-Tribulational Eschatology, I can no longer hold to the idea of a “Secret Rapture.“ That’s ironic. My reasoning? Well, they are legion, but mainly because Church History/Tradition does not support it, and because, more importantly, the Bible doesn’t teach it. Ha. I can already feel the pulses beating faster, palms getting sweatier, breathing getting deeper!

One has to read the Bible with a very specific “interpretational eye.” A “method” if you will: a method that treats the Bible as a puzzle, a sort of mystery-science theatre. This method ignores the fact that the Bible is literature. A method that thinks like a 19th-20th century Westerner. But who knows? It doesn’t really matter. You don’t have to believe it to be “caught up” in it! I don’t think. What do I replace it with? Good question… I think I have moved to a classical Pre-Millennial position on the 2nd coming. I need to read and study more. Something required since I will most likely confront this issue for the rest of my life.

I am even more excited about the second because this book deals with the issue of interpreting or reading the Bible. It is fundamentally related to the above mentioned book.

How do we read the Bible? What is appropriate? How should we be thinking? What, after all is the Bible? In what context(s) did it arise? What did people think like in those contexts? How has the Church read the Bible over the past 2,000 years? How do we read the Bible today? Which is right, or better, which is more appropriate? Any way, I like Scot McKnight. He is devout Christian, a first rate NT scholar. It seems he is a funny, witty, and open man with an honest heart, and he comes from a similar background. It’s always nice to see others who were born in similar contexts rethinking and rehashing and reflecting on the assumptions, values, and beliefs of the former generation.

Well, I will update my blog around half way and upon completion. So far I have read the first 30 or so pages and enjoyed every bit of it. The point so far: Everyone picks and chooses what they want when reading the Bible. No one actually practices the whole Bible. So, McKnight sarcastically reminds us, the slogan “God said, I believe it, that settles it for me!” is, in his words, “hogwash!” There are plenty of things God said that we don’t do. Like stone adulterers - God forbid, because then hundreds, if not thousands, of Christian ministers/pastors, laypersons, and parishioners would be dead. And we certainly don’t believe everything Jesus said, since I rarely see people in churches missing eyes or hands or feet. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

Why did I go to PCC?

Talk about misery. I sat in a stranger’s three-car garage with a heat gun in one hand and a razor knife in the other laboriously scraping the creamy, grayish epoxy coating off of a cool, smooth concrete slab. What in the world was I doing scraping a coat of paint off of a garage floor?  The one thing the job did not require was a brain. Heat the epoxy coating with the heat gun, let it loosen, and then try to scrape the paint off. Heat, scrape, and peal. Move. Heat, scrape, and peal. A few inches at a time. A three-car garage floor! That's what my body was doing, but my mind was elsewhere. Inside my head I was ruminating. What am I doing with my life?  Before I move on, I need to add some background. At age nineteen I was still too imperceptive to understand my life context. All I had known was the experience of a white, middle-class kid of a medium-sized family who grew up in a highly religious home in the suburbs of Western New York. In fact, highly religious would be an understat

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi