Skip to main content

a short history of "Christian Expressions"

Google Reader and iGoogle combined have saved me. My mind-numbing “job” dulls my brain. I get stupider every day. Consider this: I attended school for 22 straight years (Primary School, Junior High, High School, College [5 years], and Seminary [4 years]). Then, all of a sudden I graduate, and it stops. No more class, no more homework, no papers, no more scoping the cute girls at the beginning of the semester, and no more thinking. Now, I do the same thing every day. Day in, day out. I have learned my job so well that I don’t have to think. Yes, I make mistakes, but it’s because I’m not thinking. Thinking is not part of my job description. I just do. Click, Click, Click… ad infinitum.

School is life-giving because it continuously prods the mind. School is the presence and presentation of ideas. Ideas are like sparks and students are like tinder. Sparks continuously fly, sooner or later a spark catches and you are on fire with discovery. But fires go out unless they are fueled. So you read, discuss, interact with the ideas to fuel the fire. Being ablaze with learning’s fire is worth every potential loss of years due to stress.

Nonetheless, I have found a way to ease the stupid-fying. Read blogs. I read several blogs. I am confronted with ideas every time I sign on to my iGoogle account. But more than simply reading random people “out there” my favorite part of it all is reading the blogs listed on my “Christian Expressions” portion of my blog. These are real people. People I know. People I learn from: thinking, feeling, doing people. Each of these guys is meaningful in various ways which I will highlight.

have a penny?

My roommate and long-time fellow fundy friend. Never satisfied, always extreme, Garrett is the height of passion and desire. Whatever he does, he does it with all his might, but only for 2 weeks. Aspiring professor/teacher, currently employed by Apple. Garrett somehow never ceases to amaze me. Good at everything, great at nothing. Very talented guitarist. Only-child. We know each other because we know where we came from… Fundamentalism. Surprisingly thoughtful, always logical even if he’s wrong, his logic is right. Has learned to let things go.

 

If I were a bell, I’d ring

Also my roommate, Tim. Computer nerd, math genius, NT studies guy, USC alumni. Mostly quiet, loves Lost, loyal, Tim, at one point, won a contest for taking “pi” to almost one hundred decimal points from memory. He’s doing his thesis on the Gospel of Thomas. Hopefully he’ll be engaged by 2050. Geez, Tim.

 

Smithers

Long time college buddy. Married to Amy, a small town Kansas girl. Type A, aspiring health care administrator / social justice advocate, talented musician, generous but not always tactful. Ryan at one point swore an oath to follow me wherever I go and work for me. I’m still holding him to it. Sorry, Amy. He’s the guy who gets things done. He can talk for 2 solid hours without taking a breath. Amazing. He’s yin, I’m yang. Weird.

 

Renown

Fellow PCC grad, Gordon-Conwell grad, currently ministering in Charlotte, NC. I only have one word to describe him. PIMP. Ha. Heart bigger than this world, Spiritual-leader, eccentric, full of life and energy, hopeful, simply raw. Unfortunately we didn’t get to know each other very well at college because he was always goo-goo eyed over his then girlfriend, now wife Crystal. Sickening... utterly sickening. I have grown to love this guy over the past year or so for his big-as-Texas heart for Jesus, for his genuineness, for his radiant love. Patrick is where faith meets action. Apparently Patrick and I wouldn’t agree on some things (What? I don’t know), but we both see eye to eye on what matters most. Jesus Fame.

 

one foot in

UNC alumni, Seminary buddy who couldn’t hack the DTS Th.M. and instead opted out and transferred to Yale Divinity to earn a useless M. Div. Matt is a serious NT Backgrounds Nerd, specifically Roman and Greek backgrounds. Why Matt, why? Did his internship under the late great Darryl Bock. Careful, light-hearted, seriously minded scholar material. Health food freak. Neat freak. Die-hard UNC Tar-heals basketball fan. Matt red-lines when the Tar-heals lose. I think he was a trainer for the team at one point.

 

JesusCreed

Scot McKnight, whom I don’t know personally, has become one my favorites. Level-headed, clearly Christian, knows-what-matters, challenging, provocative, scholarly, open-minded, interactive, relational, conversational, never-judgmental, always-compelling. I would like to meet him someday. Maybe even study under him. He teaches at North Park University in Illinois. Read Blue-Parakeet.

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th