Skip to main content

My special purpose

Finding my way through life often provokes a propensity to question the "truth" that I have been given a special purpose or plan. I think we all hold this belief a priori to our thinking about life. We say, "I can't be here for no reason! Surely not!" It's preposterous to think that I am simply the product of two humans filling the desire to copulate and propagate its own species for the sake of survival. No, I am here for a very special purpose!

That I have been given a very special purpose was ingrained into my head from my days as a boy. "God has a very special plan for you, and you don't want to miss out!" This statement, now that I think about it, is more like a military tactic. A tactic of authority to get me line with all the other "good" boys and girls. Because if I do not live like all the other good boys and girls (or men and women for that matter), I will some how forgo the opportunity to participate in that very special plan and then life will have been meaningless, or at least less meaningful.

Somehow I came to believe that God's purpose for me is utterly unique. Maybe its all an invention of my own mind, but it would seem that it is a "purpose" which, if I had not been born, would remain in obscurity for all time. In fact no one on earth has been given the same purpose or plan, and when I die, that plan will have been lived out or missed, depending on my embracing or shunning it. Is it true, let alone realistic? Do I have a "special" purpose? Am I unique? Should I be looking for the "very purpose" for which I was born? Or should I only be living and granting the winds of life to have their way with me? Where did this megalomaniac-like notion of a "special plan" originate? Somehow I presume it to be the invention of a particularly Western narcissistic individualism.

Nonetheless, in the search for life's purpose I am discovering who I am as participating in "humanness", the daily routine of day after day, and in that discovery a challenge presents itself. I am presented with finiteness. This greatness (i.e. special plan) for which I was destined was mal-conceived; for what is greatness but the recognition of another human arranging their experience against the others experience?

Do I believe I am "special and unique?" Sure, but not in the sense which I originally conceived. In this vein, I do not believe I have been given the eternal seeds of heaven which will sprout into greatness if I water it and care for it, but rather I believe that I am "just another human" born into "just another family," and ironically, the uniqueness of my experience is a truth, but the uniqueness of my life's purpose is not a truth. I have been given a place in life, for which I am grateful, but I must live in accordance with the mundanity of life and the necessity to live well under oppressive conditions and disappointed dreams.

I have a choice. Move forward given my newly discovered awareness of finiteness; believe that I am not "special," and comfort myself in the humanness that is "short-comings" and "inabilities", or succumb to the arrogant notion that I am someone "special" with a very special purpose.

Popular posts from this blog

You and Whose Army?

America elects a pro-choice candidate and suddenly my fellow Christian brothers and sisters head for the hills screaming the world has come to an end. Are not abortion rates much higher in several other countries? Why aren't we just as concerned about "life" in those countries? America elects an economically progressive candidate and people are screaming "socialism" preparing for a Rapture. (An mid-1800's invention of conservative Christian theology). Doesn't America know that Democracy is one of the youngest political philosophies to be employed? Why do we think the fate of the world depends on the success of our economical and political philosophies? America is struggling economically, and Jesus is now coming back to rescue his 2000 year old church from this difficult tribulation. Doesn't America remember that its only 232 years old? Why does God's blessing equate with monetary blessing? Why do American Christians constantly tie the end of the ...

Where I've Been

visited 30 states (60%) Create your own visited map of The United States or try another Douwe Osinga project visited 6 states (2.66%) Create your own visited map of The World or try another Douwe Osinga project
having a passion for life. when i was in college "passion" was one of those words that caused red flags to go up in my head. i guess its because as a teenager i went to an extremely conservative church and we were expected (if of course we were to be spiritual) to have moving experiences of the spirit, and then we would arise to the spiritual status of being "on fire" for the Lord. to this day im still not sure what it means to be "on fire" (dispensationalists, we are really allegoricists when it comes to your own talking!!). the best example of this is summer camp. we would go away to camp for a week or so. it was like clockwork, about the 3rd night or so the singing would last a bit longer and then the invitations would be longer, until the end of the week on the last night or the last two nights we would have "revival." kids would get saved (again), others would get all emotional and cry and get things "right" in their lives. we woul...