Skip to main content

nice, nice, nice

There is really no reason for disappointment. Right? I mean, after all, everyone with a bone of care in his body wishes to be considered nice at times. Don't they? Even the villainous of us all concerns himself with what people think of him, even if it is only his loyal mother.

I mean, for instance... tonight some girl backed her Lexus SUV into the glorious front end of my sheik, red 1999 Oldsmobile. She put her car in reverse at a stop sign and gassed the thing! WHAT! Who puts there car in reverse at a stop sign? Beats me, but this girl did (did I mention she was a blonde?). I got out, assessed the damaged, observed. No real harm done, at least nothing to worry about given the immaculate estate of my fine vehicle (sarcasm). I told her not to worry about it. She stood confused, without words. Apparently words are hard for her. I understand, I struggle, too. Whatever sparked in her mind, the only thing that came out was, "Do you want my number?" For what, I don't know, but I assume to contact her in case I actually cared. I said, "No." She said, "Thanks, you're a nice guy" or something like that.

So even I bow my knee to the goddess of niceties. I want to be a nice guy, plain and simple. At least, I want to come across that way to most whom I am unfamiliar with. It helps your status in the world. People think you're nice, so they're nice back. Quid Pro Quo. This for that. Nice for Nice.

There's a lot of talk these days of "nice." "You're a nice guy. He's a nice guy. They're nice guys, those guys, aren't they." It all makes me want to break into song. "Here a nice guy, there a nice guy, everywhere a nice guy... Old MacDonald had a farm, N-I-C-E-O, and on that farm there was a guy, N-I-C-E-O." Ba-badah-ba-ba-dahhh.

The word itself is great, too. The word "nice" can be said by single mouth a thousand times in a day without batting an eye. Heck, I even offer "nice," mostly as an interjection, when I hear some good word or simply need filler so the poor fellow still thinks me interested in the conversation. What a nice word nice is! It rolls off the tongue so easily, so nonchalantly, so smoothly. You can even add various inflections in the one syllable word. It would sound like, n-IYYY-ce. Or maybe even sharply with so much emphasis on the NI that the CE are seemingly without notice. Any way, nice, is nice. It's good to be nice and people like nice people. So be nice, for goodness sake.

So all that said, would someone please tell answer me this, if you can: Why it is that when a girl tells a boy that they no longer desire to continue a relationship they start with, "You're a really nice guy." In my situation, it was more like, "You're a really, really, really nice guy." Gentlemen, the instant a girl begins a dialogue telling you how nice you are know this, there is only not-so-nice on the horizon. You would think only good things could follow those words, but actually you're mistaken. Nothing good follows when a girl tells a guy he is really nice, or great, or awesome, and whatnot. NOTHING good. So, fellows beware. You hear those words, "You're a nice guy" remember that there is a BUT immediately to follow, and that BUT smells a smell so foul that you will begin to understand why it is that being nice stinks so much.

So, I am not disappointed. I am a "nice" guy, so I hear. What can I do? I guess I'll stop being nice. Maybe I'll have better chances. Seems reasonable. After all, the nature of the kind of species I am working with here has a habit of putting their cars in reverse at stop signs. NICE!

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th