Skip to main content

in times like these


A storm breaks in upon the musty streets, sharp lightening flickers on the horizon revealing the thick blanket of hovering clouds, and the smell of rain on the bone-gray asphalt informs the senses that all is not well in this pretentious little society. The sound of city life lends to anxiety upon anxiety; the passing of frequent speeding wheel, the thumping of deep bass, the howling of city dogs, the thundering of jet-powered blasts approaching touch-down, the squeaking of metal on metal as the tires slosh to a halt near streets end. The familiarities of the city fail to comfort the unsoundest of love-starving hearts. From my balcony, the well-lit tower, or should I more accurately describe, fortress of imagined wealth, crowds in on the saturated horizon of florescence and dust reminding me that all is not well in our most advanced of civilization. All to frequently a speeding yellow transport clogs the stillness of quickly settled air, meanwhile a random youth clogs her way alone down the ominous path, and I am reminded that these times are frivolously wasted on what matters least.

A storm is set to pass through, and not without much anticipation of destructive winds and fierce tornadoes. There is a coarse honk, then click, and slam of a door, followed by the igniting of screaming engine and rushing air as the vehicle speeds to an endless destination. The lightning grows more frequent as in a manor of show slowly reaching toward her climax, and soon to be followed by the echoing force of thunderous vibration. The clip-clop, slap and scratch of human-like shadows return to their dwellings with sympathetic purpose. A sign of the times, maybe, but all of this to remind us that all is not well in the world today. Thunder crashes and so do markets. Lightning makes no small glow of the evening sky, and surely, as quick as the glow disappears, so does the glow of each mans face as he learns that his deep pockets lined with silver turn to shallow caves filled with annoying muscles clinging to rock and pebble. And I am reminded that in times like these what matters most is often not far from our blindly-turned eyes.

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th