Skip to main content

an ideal time

Since investing in money markets is bad now, why not think about investing in lives of people, Peacemakers asks. “This is an ideal time to invest aggressively in the lives of the people around you.”

I really think Peacemakers is on to something here. We are at a slow in the economy. Business is dwindling at your office. Your 401k investment portfolio is shrinking every day. So, why not? Why not take a bit of your “money-making” time to “invest” in a person? I know, I know - you’re thinking that it’s not really and “investment.” You’re thinking, “I can’t actually legally own someone in this day and age”, but don’t let that get in your way. A little time spent with a child or parent or friend might actually pay off when the money market comes around! You may be able to sell them something in the future if you “invest” in their lives now! They are potential buyers and we all know Investors love buyers!

Think about it. Once this slowdown is over, you might not have time to make investments in people. The market is bound to come around sooner or later, so get while the getting is good!

Since what is most important to us right now is in disrepair, why not make room for the other not-so-important things in life, like friends and family? Since you can’t afford to miss out on the money when the money is there, and since the money is not there now, you may want to consider spending some time with your children or your spouse or your buddies, or heck, why not even knock on your neighbors door and introduce yourself (assuming your neighbor hasn’t gone into foreclosure yet). It can’t hurt. You might get an investment tip from them in the future!

Honestly, this recent article from Peacemakers is really brilliant. I think the wisdom offered in this piece is timely, and if followed, it should come with big returns in the future. It’s almost as good as investing in the money market, but obviously it has its risks. You will, of course, have to consider which “people” are worth investing in, since not all will yield large returns. It’s basic investing principle. With that, I conclude: Invest in people now, while the money market is in shambles, but when the money market picks back up, “cash in” on your people investments and get back in the real deal! Have fun investing!

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th