Skip to main content

prevelent reminders of the inadequacy of fundy readings of the bible

The other day I was having a brief conversation with a young man who is typical of the eccentric "fundy" zealot. I try very hard to be friendly and encouraging with this guy so as to help him move along in his christian maturity. Sometimes this is very, very difficult. Our conversation stayed primarily at the level of cordial exchanges as is common to small talk. He proceeded to ask of my "studying". As a former zealot of the sort I knew exactly his intent. He wanted two things: first, to make sure that I was "in the word", and two, to share what he was studying and what "new" things he was "taught" in his bible reading. So I obliged as is tactful of christian brotherhood and told him of my studying in Matthew. At which point he stopped me and shared what God had "laid" on his heart. Somehow I get the feeling he just wanted to talk, but that is neither here nor there. God had burdened him with the people of Rochester. This is very well and good, maybe I could learn a few things from his evangelistic mindset. It is true the gospel needs to be confessed, even if, as Paul says, it is done in antagonistic ways (Philippians, I believe?). He proceeded to make a theologically powerful statement. It began with his description of the crime rate in Rochester and how it is higher (I don't know how true this is) than the city of New Orleans. He made hasty conclusion that God "sent" hurricane Katrina to New Orleans because of their crime and sinfulness. God was, in his mind, the primary agent in leveling New Orleans a few years ago. This thinking is common especially with people who make generalizing theological conclusions based upon narrative passages in Scripture (Sodom and Gomorrah, for example). Whether or not this is legitimate theological practice is debated. Any way, making the connection between Rochester and New Orleans' crime rates he continued... and you can see where he went with this. Rochester is soon going to experience "judgment" at levels proportionate to the level of hurricane katrina. At this point I became somewhat disturbed, but contained myself. I didn't respond to his statement. I nodded and allowed the conversation to close. This was very difficult given my nature to confrontation (according to my mother).

I got to thinking how I would approach this type of thinking in the future. How would you help a person who is for all practical purposes convinced that NATURAL disasters are products of divine agency and tied primarily to judgment? No doubt, God could use judgment like this. However, does the fact that hurricanes constantly bombard the coastal regions of the Gulf not mean anything to him? After all, studying hurricane in the US will demonstrate that hurricanes typically land on the gulf coast. What about L.A.? Surely L.A. is just as wicked given it size, but we rarely hear of hurricanes. Oh, right, never mind, I forgot. They get earthquakes! Wait, but they built on a fault line! Still, that wouldn't matter much I suppose. Simply because tornadoes only occur in the Midwestern, USA and no where else means that whenever a tornado touches down it means judgment? What about the hurricanes that do not make landfall? Are they judgment directed toward the birds who sit on top of the water? What about Haiti? Does the fact that it is one of the poorest countries in the world mean that God is judging them in their daily struggle for simple survival. They exist on a fault line. But no, it's judgment.

What about little disasters? Like the hitting your head on a light fixture? Is this to be interpreted as divine judgment? What about a flu? Is this divine agency or simply a virus? Any way, the point he was trying to make was Rochester needs a wake up call. Surely this is true, but does this mean the we are headed for serious disaster of Katrina-like proportions? I guess Lake Ontario could flood and drown the city.

The lens through which fundamentalists read the bible and thus matters of everyday life is a matter of needed study and refutation. But, I am afraid the belief that "I am just reading the bible for what it says" is to powerful of a modus operandi, to real as a meta-narrative to allow for critical thinking.

Popular posts from this blog

go with your gut

I was sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday, and a young lady sat next to me on the sofa. The place was packed and that was the only other seat open. She asked if she could sit and I smiled and nodded. I continued my business, trying to give the impression that it was no big deal that this cute girl just sat next to me. It wasn't a big deal, after all it happens every day. Right... Though it appeared to be the case, that was not the case. For about an hour or so I could not focus on what I was doing. I was constantly thinking about what I will say in order to strike up a conversation, find out her "status", and make a decision whether to ask her out or not. So I sat nervously thinking about what to say. It wasn't that hard, because she was feverishly grading what appeared to be homework, as if she was a teacher. So at a natural transition in my business I asked, "Are you a teacher?" That was that. She was kind and responded as if not to be bothered by my questi

what is it?

God, Is it proper to approach you first with a heavy heart? Or rather should I come confessing your goodness and love and holiness even if I don't feel like it? When I come with such a desperate heaviness it is hard to confess with my lips what I know to be true of you in my heart. I have read about your every-day-new-mercy, but I have also read your servant David and have seen how you accepted his groanings when he lay on the floor in despair over the heaviness in his soul. From where my heaviness arises I cannot with full confidence say, though I know my sin and its subsequent guilt are ever-present before my eyes. Though I rest in your forgiveness I tremble when I think of my hearts willful disobedience to what is righteous, to what pertains to wholeness. I know my heart and its vileness and evil, I know what hides in the shadows from the eyes of my friends. But here is my despair: that I yearn yet I do not know what for. There is a strange and dark cloud alive over me with a mi

A trip to The Shack

Andi, the lady who owns the Dunn Brothers coffee shop I daily frequent during the work week, asked me one day a while back if I had ever read The Shack . I hadn’t. She raved over it. My friend Austin consistently slammed, among other things, its cavalier Trinitarian theology, even to the point of alleging heresy. Fact is, I’d heard all the buzz, and had no intentions of reading it. Andi told me it was rock solid and would change my life. Austin told me it is like chaff to the wind. I trust Austin ’s theological astuteness (he’s a fellow Th.M. guy) more than I trust Andi’s. Austin and I think in similar Christian historical and theological paradigms.  Any way, Andi brought it up again a few weeks ago. So as not to raise any issue, I told Andi I would “think about it,” knowing full well I probably wouldn’t. I had visions of John Eldridge’s ridiculous Wild at Heart running through my head. They’re books meant to make you feel good, but in the end they’re bottomless canteens. Th